[c-nsp] SSM and multicast IP addresses

Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists lists at hojmark.org
Sat Feb 10 17:39:34 EST 2007

> In order for Source Specific Multicast (SSM) to work properly,
> does the source addresses need to be in the 232.x.x.x range?

You mean the multicast (not source) addresses?

No, it doesn't need to be 232.0.0.0/8. You can configure another
range (or in fact several other ranges) using the 'ip pim ssm
range' command.

232.0.0.0/8 is reserved for SSM, but if you're planning to talk
to other networks, consider using 233.0.0.0/8 and GLOP (RFC3180).

> Will SSM work with source addresses in the 224.1.x.x range?

I'm still assuming you mean multicast address (not source),
because that's what it is.

Yes, SSM will work with 224.1.0.0/16, but you really shouldn't
use that, as it's reserved for other purposes.

See http://www.iana.org/assignments/multicast-addresses

> Also does anyone know if Foundry supports SSM?

Yes, Foundry supports SSM, but AFAIK not SSM maps like Cisco. So,
basically, it'll only work with IGMPv3 clients if used at the
edge.

-A