[c-nsp] TE config help

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Sun Feb 11 23:30:14 EST 2007

mb2 at os.datafx.com.au wrote:

> Our current bandwidth is as follows:
>
> ATM - 8Mb Ethernet - 4Mb
>
> Our goal is to (hopefully) have a total of 12Mb bandwidth available for
> use(i.e. Load-share over both the ATM+Ethernet links)......Is FRR
> necessary in what we are wanting to achieve?

FRR only helps you in failure scenarios...sounds like running all out is
more important to you.

> Proposed config for one of the Core routers...
>
 > no mpls traffic-eng auto-bw timers frequency 0

Why?

> interface FastEthernet2/0
> ### Would this still be required? ip ospf cost 100

I'd definitely recommend a sane IGP design, so that if TE should explode
you'll fail back to predictable IGP routing.

> ### Not too sure about this? ip rsvp bandwidth ? ?

ip rsvp band 4000 4000

> interface ATM1/0.100 point-to-point
> ### Not too sure about this? ip rsvp bandwidth ? ?

ip rsvp band 8000 8000

> interface Tunnel2
> tag-switching ip

Are you carrying MPLS VPNs across these links, AND these routers are not
the ultimate hop?  If not, why do you have 'mpls ip' on these tunnels?

> ### Not too sure about this? tunnel mpls traffic-eng bandwidth ?

tunn mpls traf band 4000

> tunnel mpls traffic-eng path-option 5 dynamic

How many tunnels are you going to have?  You can do three tunnels, each
at 4Mbps bandwidth.  You can do two or three or more with auto-bw.

Your biggest detail is likely going to be how well your traffic splits
up into parallel tunnels.  If it hashes out well, two or three static
tunnels will fit right into your interfaces.  If it ends up quite
dynamic, auto-bw might be a real good answer for you.  If it doesn't
hash well and stays that way, you may simply have your hands full
experimenting.

pt