[c-nsp] NVRAM Size Limitations - Field Experiences?

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.zw
Wed Feb 14 08:03:08 EST 2007

Hello all.

We are slightly over 50% utilization on one of our router's NVRAM
space (128KB on an NPE-300).

We like to be pre-emptive way beforehand just so we don't shoot
ourselves in the foot when crunch-time comes. So we are wondering
whether to consider the 'service compress-config' feature to keep
this router's running configuration manageable, or to upgrade to
the NPE-G1 that has a lot more NVRAM (512KB, but certainly a
"flimsy" reason to upgrade as the current NPE still has miles to
go, CPU-wise).

www.cisco.com is unclear on NVRAM field upgrades (probably
unlikely), but is clear on some caveats with compressing the
configuration such as Boot ROMs that don't support the feature and
truncation of running configurations.

This is a very busy edge router whose running configuration is only
growing. What are others' experiences out in the field?

Mark.