[c-nsp] SNMP OIDs to monitor DHCP pool conflicts

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Mon Feb 19 01:24:14 EST 2007

Does anyone happen to know if there are any SNMP OIDs for monitoring the
conflicts in a DHCP pool on an Cisco router?  We're having severe
problems caused by a combination of new OSs using gratutious ARPs and a
particular model of DSL modem/router that responds to their g-arps,
causing the client to assume that the IP sent out in the DHCP OFFER is
already in use which prompts a DHCP DECLINE to be sent a conflict to be
logged, and the IP in question to be removed from the pool.  The end
result is that the DHCP pool runs out of IPs and all the users suffer
for it.

Windows Vista, OS X, and the D-Link WBR/EBR x310 models all generate
gratuitous ARPs (and I know that the D-Link's are malformed, though I
can't say that about the other 2).

I could stay ahead of this problem if could monitor the DHCP pools via
SNMP.  I can trigger an alert based off of this info.  I've enabled DHCP
server packet debugging to log all offer OFFERs and DECLINEs but that is
an after-the-fact tool.  I could also use kron to flush the conflicts
but that won't actually help fix the cause of the problem.

Thanks
  Justin