[c-nsp] Network Software - Management/Performance

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Mon Feb 19 19:07:36 EST 2007

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 06:01:53PM +0000, Piotr Nowacki wrote:
> Hi,
> take a look at zabbix (www.zabbix.com)
> New piece of soft but very promissing.
> Config kept in sql database, so every modification is just a matter
> os sql script.
> For snmp it uses Net-SNMP so adding new MIB is easy as well.
> Has nice maps, graphs ...
> Nagios + Cacti + MRTG in one box.
> This mont stable veriosn of 1.4 branch is going to released.

Zabbix looked pretty promising when I was playing with it, and it has
some really neat features like logging a history of value changes, i.e.
if you run a "uname -a" command on your linux boxes, it can log a
history of every time your kernel version changed, etc.

That said I found it rather complex (that's the problem with all these
big systems they need to be overly complex to be relatively generic) and
quite hard to get going how I wanted, I also ran into a few bugs and
decided that it wasn't "yet ready" but I'm keeping my eye on it for the
future.

FWIW this was 6+ months ago, not sure where its gone since then.

The idea of SNMP polling once for alerts+graphs is quite nice tho,
especially when a couple of my more simpler devices get a bit unhappy
getting pounded with SNMP.

Cheers,
Trent