[c-nsp] Aggregating IP DSLAMs to a single site

Shane Amante shane at castlepoint.net
Wed Feb 21 11:07:19 EST 2007

Hi Kim,

Kim Onnel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If we have a bunch of IP DSLAMs with Ethernet uplinks on different sites and
> we want to aggregate them to a single Ethernet switch in the main exchange
> near to our internet gateway, what are the known cost-effective methods?
> (knowing that the Teleco company here does not provide Metro ethernet
> connectivity, so i have to convert from ethernet to something else and back
> again at the collection point)
>
> Take into consideration that the IP DSLAMs sometimes provide 3-4 E1s worth
> of traffic, i.e: not because its an ethernet uplink it means we have alot of
> uplink traffic.

IMO, your most cost-effective option is to do Ethernet over TDM from the
IP DSLAM back to your central Ethernet switch.  At the CPE side, where
the IP DSLAM's reside, there are a bunch of vendors in the low-end N x
T1/E1 space that have solutions in this space, except Cisco.  I would
recommend you look at the following:
- Overture Networks ISG-140/180
- Anda Networks 2108
- RAD RICi-4E1, 4T1, 8E1, 8T1

At the head-end aggregation side, where your Ethernet switch resides,
you didn't mention how many remote sites it would need to aggregate.  I
don't have experience with Cisco ONS providing aggregation; however,
there are probably a few options:
1) Book-ended.  If you have a small number of remote-sites you need to
aggregate, just book-end the N x E1's with the same Overture, Anda or
RAD EoTDM box.
2) Aggregation EoTDM switch.  Most of the 3 vendors sell modular,
aggregation switches, however they are fairly small, but well-suited to
a decent amount of N x T1/E1 EoTDM aggregation.  Specifically:
- Overture ISG-2200/5000
- Anda EtherReach 4000
- RAD EGATE-100: to my knowledge it's not modular, but can consume 1 x
Ch/OC-3 or Ch/STM-1 of T1's/E1's.
3) Cisco 7200, or other Cisco, box capable of BCP/MLPPP for N x T1/E1.
Note, I haven't played with the 7200 or SIP/SPA's in this role, so I'm
not sure it actually works [well].

It's probably best you contact each vendor and ask them their specific
capabilities & features.

-shane