[c-nsp] Cannot boot 6506 off disk0:

Anton Smith anton at huge.geek.nz
Fri Feb 23 09:24:46 EST 2007

Hi all,

I have run into a weird issue where I cannot get a 6506 to boot from
disk0 - instead it boots into ROMMON and gets stuck there, until I tell it:

boot disk0:

- at which point it loads fine. The image is Version 12.2(18)SXF7. The
boot system flash disk0: command is present in the config (and at the
top of the list), and the boot variables look correct:

show bootvar
host#BOOT variable = disk0:s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF7.bin,1
CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist
BOOTLDR variable =
Configuration register is 0x2102

Standby is not present.

The image is too large to fit on on the SUP bootflash. Actually, the
only way I could even get it to drop to ROMMON on boot was to remove any
image off the SUP bootflash (otherwise it loaded that).

It seems that the router is not even checking disk0 for an image, or it
is not 'mounted'.. or something. It definitely can see disk0 as it works
when I give it the boot disk0: command, so why isn't it searching it or
using it as per the boot vars?

The only thing I found related to this in the release notes was this
rather .. interesting .. line:

"To boot a system image stored on the supervisor engine Flash PC card,
at least one VLAN interface must be configured and be active.".

Well - VLAN 1 and the other default VLANs are configured and active, but
there are no other VLANs manually configured. And even if this is true,
how does the router know I haven't configured any VLANs, and why on
earth would it check the config during the bootstrap to see if a VLAN
had been configured, and if not, to ignore disk0 as a boot device... !?!

Has anyone else run into this issue? I am unable to test the VLAN thing
easily as this is a remote box and if it doesn't come back I have to do
some driving ;).

Regards,
Anton