[c-nsp] ebgp peer-groups and ASN restrictions

Anton Smith anton at huge.geek.nz
Thu Jan 4 09:38:22 EST 2007

Hi all,

Can someone please tell me if the restrictions mentioned here are in
effect with recent versions of IOS:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080093fb7.shtml

Specifically 'Members of an external peer group have different
autonomous system (AS) numbers.'

I would like to define a peer group for peering with two route
reflectors at an internet exchange - but both have the same ASN.

Also, if this restriction does indeed exist, can someone shed some light
on why?

Alternatively I am wondering if I can just apply the same peer
*template* (outgoing policies) to the two neighbours, and rely on bgp
update-groups to give some efficiency. Update groups are automatically
generated by the router according to BGP Design and Implementation by
Randy Zhang and Micah Bartell - page 80.

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Anton