[c-nsp] ARP/MAC spoofing protection from a bad nic

Afsheen Bigdeli afsheenb at gravityplaysfavorites.net
Fri Jan 5 21:22:11 EST 2007

Personally, I'd probably hold off on doing anything - the odds of a
similar meltdown happening again are hopefully rather slim, and the
ramifications of protecting against it might cause more trouble than
they're worth...

That being said, you'll probably want to implement port security. See
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/12_1e/swconfig/port_sec.htm.

How it works:

For each port, you can enable port security, assign the maximum number
of mac addresses that you'd expect to see attached to that switchport,
and what action to take if you go over the expected number of mac
addresses. You can also enter static mac addresses, but that would
become quite time consuming, I'd think.

Additionally, you can also configure aging parameters - so the logic
ends up being "I expect to see no more than X mac addresses sourced from
this port in a given time period; if I do see more than X addresses,
take this action (shutdown, errdisable, etc)". The aforementioned link
goes into greater detail.

Two caveats: 1) you'll probably want the value of X to be higher than
one, as the headaches of having a port automatically shutdown every time
you change the NIC that is attached to it aren't worth the net benefits,
IMHO and 2) ports have to meet certain conditions for port security to
be allowed, the most commonly ignored one being that a trunk cannot be a
secure port.

Hope that helps,
--afsheenb