[c-nsp] ME-C3750 code on plain WS-C3750?

Rubens Kuhl Jr. rubensk at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 20:38:59 EST 2007

> >    Does the ME-C3750-24TE-M code run on a plain ol' WS-C3750?
>
> No. The ME has a Network Processor to do all the features the plain
> ol' WS-C3750 can not do.

And the Network Processor is attached only to the 2 "Enhanced
Services" ports, so unless you have only two uplinks and use only L3
on them (as MPLS requires "routerport" ), this will end up using all 4
gigabit ports, connecting the 2 non-enhanced ports to the 2 enhanced
ports.

3750 Metro software has also plenty of annoying bugs (like traceroute
not working) and limitations (not capable of balancing etherchannel
based on MPLS label is one of them).

Cisco has a metro with up to 32 gigabit ports called ME6524, now in
FCS phase. As the name suggests, it's based on 6500 with native
supervisor support for MPLS, so I hope it will be more stable than
3750 Metro. Beware that it doesn't support VPLS, though.

Rubens