[c-nsp] Router/Switch Sizing terms

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Mon Jan 8 10:53:35 EST 2007

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, Pete Templin wrote:

>> 3) Switching Capacity
>
> L2 devices switch packets from ingress to egress.  L3 devices route, and
> then switch packets from ingress to egress.  Either method requires an
> appropriate (L2, L3, etc.) lookup, one time per packet regardless of
> packet payload size, and therefore most switches and routers are
> performance-limited by the number of frames/packets they can perform
> switching/routing lookups on (and then switch the packet to the egress
> port).
>
>> 4) Forwarding performance
>
> Often a measure of switching capacity multiplied by minimum, average,
> weighted, and/or maximum packet size.  Used to differentiate between
> devices that can only fill their ports if maximum-sized packets are
> used, and devices that can fill their ports if minimum-sized packets are
> used.

Also, sometimes it's well worth taking the performance numbers that a
vendor gives you with a healthy grain of salt.  A vendor can make a claim
like "Our new ABC9000 platform will forward up to 40 million packets per
second", but without knowing exactly what this number means and how they
arrived at it, i.e. what tests they used, etc, it's at best disingenuous
and at worst flat-out wrong.  Packet forwarding tests need to discuss
forwarding performance at a wide range of packet sizes.  This is
especially true for a router, or a switch that has routing functionality.
Small packets, especially lots of small packets, are generally more
taxing, especially on a software-based router.

Also important to know are:
* Does the device (route|forward) in hardware or software?
* If it does so in hardware, what conditions exist that could cause it to
(route|forward) in software?
* What is the performance impact of doing so?

If you're dealing other features like NAT or IPSEC, those will often have
their own sets of performance numbers.

jms