[c-nsp] 3508 / GBIC ZX / Minimum IOS

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Jan 9 03:59:44 EST 2007

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 09:28:37AM +0100, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2007, Gert Doering wrote:
>
> > You might need to play with port negotiation - I've never understood what
> > autonegotiation is *good* for on GigE fiber ports ("single possible speed,
> > always full duplex") but if one side is set to negotiate, and the other
> > side to *not* do it, you won't get a link.  BTDT.
>
> With autoneg you won't have oneway up because with autoneg enabled both
> sides will know if the other end sees light or not. The link wont be up
> before both ends has light.

Good thing ("isn't that what UDLD is for?").  Why not call it
"reliable link-state detection", then?

Well.  There might be good reasons - I'm just annoyed on all this,
because I've spent too much time hunting "bad cables" that have been
negotiation issues in the end...

> Huge operational advantage. Too bad for instance the GSR doesn't do
> autoneg on gig in any reliable fashion.

That's one of my major gripes: if it's useful, it shouldn't ever have
been *optional*...

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de