[c-nsp] 3508 / GBIC ZX / Minimum IOS

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Jan 9 18:18:40 EST 2007

sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
>> All I can say (and I may be bitter) is that if autoneg on GigE was so
>> grand... um... why has nearly every SP found reason to disable it?? And
>> shouldn't auto neg (without neg on the other side) default to the same
>> state on both sides?? -- you know, put the "auto" in "autoneg"??
>
> I'm not sure your experiences are representative here. We use autoneg
> for GigE all the time, and it works fine. Same with several other
> reasonably large ISPs I know of.
>
> Then again, we don't have Cisco GSRs.

Ditto and ditto.

Many moons ago we did see gigE fibre autoneg interop problems between
Extreme summit 1i and 3Com Superstack switches, but at some point along
the way it all became "just works".

As for the remote fault notification i.e. UDLD-alike - there must be
*something* wrong with this or UDLD wouldn't have been needed. Anyone
know what it is?