[c-nsp] 3508 / GBIC ZX / Minimum IOS

Marian Durkovic md at bts.sk
Wed Jan 10 02:51:14 EST 2007

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 07:17:26PM -0500, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> In a production state auto-negotiation is
> actually left enabled, since it is capable of detecting many "one side of
> a bidirectional link failure" issues. In a diagnostic state however, for
> gear without light meters onboard you'll get link if you are neg disabled
> regardless of the status of negotiation on the remote side, so many people
> still use it for that.

  Yes, this is exactly our operational procedure for links with transceivers
not supporting DOM. Fortunately, starting with CWDM GBICs DOM is supported
- so instead of de-configuring autonegotiation (which requires enable level)
our NOC operators can simply issue "show inte transceiver" and get much better
info. Because of this, we only buy DOM-capable transceivers on all purchases.

	With kind regards,

		M.

----   Marian Durkovic                       network  manager         ----
----   Slovak Technical University           Tel: +421 2 524 51 301   ----