[c-nsp] Improve Convergence Times

Greene, Patrick PatrickGreene at spherion.com
Thu Jan 11 08:58:28 EST 2007

Thanks in advance for you advice.

I have 2 Cisco 7600's each with an OC-3 to a carrier's MPLS cloud.  I am
running BGP as my EGP and OSPF as my IGP.  I redistribute my BGP into
OSPF.  I only have about 10 routers in my OSPF backbone area.  I have
set it up to run all traffic through one OC-3 as a primary and the other
as failover using MED and Local-Pref.  On the carrier side, BGP
Fast-Failover is configured in the event the carrier has an outage.  My
problem is, when I fail my primary OC-3 interface, it takes 10-12
seconds for OSPF to pick up the failure and hence traffic is being
dropped out to the WAN.  What can I do to improve this convergence?

Thank You,
Patrick