[c-nsp] gigabit ethernet ring for metro ethernet deployment

Fetzer, Bryan BFetzer at bresnan.com
Thu Jan 11 12:05:47 EST 2007

Rick,

We provide transparent LAN services to our customers. We have a ring
topology around many cities and carry many customers VLAN's unfettered.
Your solution would be fine

in the case where I was simple attempting to provide my own ISP IP
transport services, but that isn't the case for many NSP's attempting to
offer a customer transparent LAN services when they have numerous sites
around a city or state.

EAPS is hardly a fancy or difficult thing to setup. Nor is it expensive.
In fact, you can run EAPS on Extreme's lowest platforms, albeit only one
ring but for many one ring will probably suffice.

Bryan Fetzer

>Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 16:37:36 -0800

>From: "Richard Hicks" <richard.hicks at gmail.com>

>Subject: Re: [c-nsp] gigabit ethernet ring for metro ethernet

>          deployment

>To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net

>          <e5e59de40701051637y3792388cped35ee68727cbda8 at mail.gmail.com>

>Why get fancy when he can do what he wants with cheap layer 3 switches.

>Just draw your ring, put layer 3 switches on the ring and setup routing
between the point to point links.  Summarize IP addresses at your break
points and call it a day.

>I have been running this exact setup for the last 6 years, without one
major issue.  We even had some trees take out one of the point-to-point
links and EIGRP happily routed around it.