[c-nsp] Problem with paste large ACLs

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Jan 12 05:19:07 EST 2007

Jeroen Vos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have some problem with paste large ACLs >50 lines to a cisco 6500 (
> and others types also). It seems that after 50 lines some sort of buffer
> is filled and then, no rules are accepted anymore.
>
> We use the console via a terminalserver (2600 type) with standard
> defaults.
>
> line con 0
> logging synchronous
> transport preferred none
> transport output telnet
>
> There is a workarround; use some sort of 'slow' paste. But are there
> other solutions for this problem ?

You can "copy tftp run" to bring the file containing the ACL definition
from a TFTP server.

Similarly, you can push config using "scp file router:running-config"

In both cases the files need to contain valid IOS commands as you would
type them at the CLI. You also need to be aware that this feature does
not interact well with things like configuration archive. Finally, be
aware you will still need to issue a "copy run start" some other way.