[c-nsp] OT: SORBS Blacklist

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Fri Jan 19 17:53:51 EST 2007

Adam Piasecki wrote:
>  One of our users got a IP Blacklisted on SORBS. We have corrected the
> problem, and I just found out SORBS is now charging $50.00 to remove the
> blacklist. This is clear cut blackmail if you ask me. I understand that the
> lists help the internet, but charging you money after ONE time of being
> blacklisted is a little crazy to me.

Was your user sending (intentionally or through negligence) UBE?

Perhaps it's time that users who do so realize that there is a cost
associated with this.  Do your terms of service include a clause that
the customer will pay clean-up costs associated with net abuse?  If not,
perhaps they should.

> Do any of you guys use this list for Blocking IP's?

Yep.

Note that SORBS doesn't profit from this or even touch the money.  The
(hopefully ex-)spammer donates it to a charity.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net