[c-nsp] BGP local preference

Michael Robson Michael.Robson at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Jan 23 05:25:58 EST 2007

I am administering a Cisco 6500-based core (Sup720s) where I am exchanging
routes with edge sites using eBGP. Each site has an uplink to 2 separate
core routers and I am using a route map to set the local preference so that
the core always prefers one of the site links over the other. I would also
like to affect the default route that we are sending them so that when they
send traffic out, it prefers the same link, but it appears that you cannot
set a local preference on the way out of a router (I guess that's why it's
called a "local preference). Is there another way to affect the route to
achieve this "default route affecting" (this would be preferred over the
site setting the local preference).

Thanks,

Michael.