[c-nsp] high failure rate on WS-X6748-x blades?

Mathias at TelecityRedbus.com Mathias at TelecityRedbus.com
Wed Jan 24 08:44:32 EST 2007

Well, I had a similar problem way back when I renewed my platform. I
ordered 2 x WS-X6724-SFP and 4 x WS-X6748-GE-TX and got 2 x
WS-X6748-GE-TX replaced after some long hours troubleshooting with Cisco
(they finally accepted that the cards were faulty - these were brand new
modules from Cisco). Since then I have had no problems with them.

I currently have 2 x WS-CAC-3000W.

Mathias,

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
[mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of nishal goburdhan
Sent: 24 January 2007 12:25
To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: [c-nsp] high failure rate on WS-X6748-x blades?

hi.

i'm curious to know, if anyone else has experienced (!) a high failure
rate of either WS-X6748-SFP or WS-X6748-GE-TX blades?
we've seen failure of 6/8 of these, purchased in the past 17 months.

i've not been able to find a product recall for known bad batches, and
from initial contact with the vendor, the recommendation thusfar is that
we check the power feeds to the devices;  in each case, there are dual
WS-CAC-3000W, fitted into WS-C6509-E, and the available power >
consumed.  seeing as how these are spread across three different
continents, at independently managed co-los, and typically only one
blade fails per chassis at a time, i'm reluctant to believe that there's
a problem with the supplied power.

older WS-X63xx series gear has been happily chugging along in the same
chassis...

--
nishal goburdhan, internet solutions, south africa
tel: +27-11-575-0283, inoc-dba: 3741*ndg, utc +2