[c-nsp] 7206VXR Big CPU Increase After 12.4 Upgrade

Mark Taylor maillist at smashie.ision.co.uk
Tue Jan 30 09:01:39 EST 2007

Hi,

We upgraded one of our 7206VXR NPE-G1's from 12.3(12a) to 12.4(12) this
morning to cover the recent security releases. We decided to make the major
revision jump as we were reloading.

After the reload the box jumped from 20 percent cpu to 35 percent on the new
12.4(12) image and at the time there was around 75Mbps in each direction of
traffic running through the box - so an immediate increase of 15 percent.

Now there is about 185Mbps each way and cpu is at 65 percent. This would
have been about 45 percent before the change of image, so an increase of 20
percent.

This is looking very much like cpu could potentially increase more quickly
than traffic. The jump in cpu between images is beginning to concern me a
little. Has anybody else experienced this? Is it normal?

The box is a peering router running IPv4 and OSPF, a full BGP table from one
upstream and about 20 other direct peers at a small IX and a few ACLs. CEF
is still running.

I was hoping to get around 350Mbps through the box before running out of cpu
and it was looking that way based on 12.3(12a). I guess I could go back to
12.3(22) which is fixed, assuming that the increase in cpu comes with 12.4.
I just wanted to find out if this big jump in cpu between releases was
normal/expected.

Any help/experience appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark.