[c-nsp] 7600 cef confusion

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Wed Jan 31 01:19:32 EST 2007

On (2007-01-30 17:57 -0600), Charles Spurgeon wrote:

> Doesn't look like they let you alter that, either.

Oh they do let you alter it, it's hidden. I'd say freeze
is quite dangerous default. Consider this:

1) You have label 42 pointing to customer FOO, everything
   is running smooth as a candy dulfer.

2) Some mls error occurs, perhaps transient that happened
   when you swapped LC (happened to me). Hardware is frozen,
   software continues to function perfectly normally.

3) 42 gets reassigned via routing change to customer BAR,
   software is happy camper, MSFC FIB is updated. However,
   MLS FIB is not updated.

4) label 42 comes in, it's pushed to customer FOO via
   hardware, instead  of customer BAR. You're leaking traffic
   cross-customer.

No, this hasn't happened to (at least to my knowledge, but
it might be hard to realise when it's happening after MLS
has been frozen).
I had much difficulties finding out what 'recover' does,
so I wouldn't bet on that horse just yet, reset sounds like a
quite smart bet. If someone can shed light to what
'recover' actually does, I'd be extremely happy
to hear about it.

--
  ++ytti