[c-nsp] Unicast storms

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Mon Jul 2 12:22:10 EDT 2007

On (2007-07-02 18:01 +0200), Vincent De Keyzer wrote:

> I have snmp, but this is not my understanding of unicast storm: as far as I
> understand, unicast storm is defined as traffic with an unknown destination
> MAC address.

I'm afraid your understanding is incorrect. Only platform where unknown
unicasts can be ratelimeted is PFC3C based devices, however, as it's
per chassis, you definitely do not want to use it, ever. You can,
however, turn unknown unicast flooding completely off, which
might be desired in some situations.
Other feature I'm dearly missing from cisco is ability to limit
how many MACs can be learned from given interface without also
turning port-security on.

Thanks,
--
  ++ytti