[c-nsp] Unicast storms

Stephen Wilcox steve.wilcox at packetrade.com
Mon Jul 2 13:40:33 EDT 2007

Hi Vincent,
 I've seen this too, its very annoying.

The reason is it is sampling the rate over a 1 or 2 second interval as opposed to the interface rate which by default is 5 minutes altho you can go to as low as 30s (load-interval 30).

Cisco: it would be very nice if we could tune that period, 2s is way too short!

I see it is a problem mainly on Windows networks, MS loves to send out unicast and broadcast junk and the machines on a network have a tendency to synchronize their bursts of traffic so you end up getting short bursts of traffic occasionally.

Steve