[c-nsp] Unicast storms

Eric Spaeth eric at spaethco.com
Mon Jul 2 14:04:59 EDT 2007

Assume the following configuration:

D1     D2
|         |
S1---S2

D1 and D2 are upstream distribution routers, S1 and S2 are layer3
switches so the links to D1 and D2 are routed.
Assume VLAN10 is trunked between S1 and S2, and end stations are present
on VLAN10 on both S1 and S2.
HSRP is configured between S1 and S2, with S1 being the HSRP active.

Scenario:  Host (SOURCE) from somewhere in the network is talking to
host (TARGET) directly connected to S1 VLAN10.   Both D1 and D2 have a
learned route for that network.   Assume the traffic from SOURCE comes
in via D2.

1) D2 forwards the traffic for TARGET to S2
2) S2 ARPs for TARGET, as it is a locally adjacent interface (VLAN10)
3) S2 learns that TARGET's MAC comes in via the trunk to S1.  S2's
layer3 engine forwards the traffic to VLAN10, and the layer2 engine for
VLAN10 forwards the traffic out the trunk to S1.
4) TARGET gets the traffic, forwards the response to SOURCE out to the
gateway (S1) which forwards traffic out to D1 and the rest of the network
5) After 5 minutes, D2 continues to forward packets to S2, but S2 has
not seen any traffic from TARGET so it floods the frames out to all
members of VLAN10, including the trunk to S1.

If TARGET never talks to any of the other members of VLAN10 on S2, the
only unicast traffic S2 will see from TARGET is the response to the ARP
request.

That's the simplest scenario where this comes into play;  hang some
workgroup switches off of S1 and S2 with spanning-tree breaking the loop
in various places and that's where your other configurations come in.

-Eric