[c-nsp] 3660 and BGP

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Mon Jul 2 16:39:46 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007, Seth Mattinen wrote:

> It'll handle BGP just fine with more memory (do the 512 meg), but it
> won't be able to do 100 meg of traffic. My guesstimate for average
> internet traffic based on my experience with a 3640 is 15 meg.

One thing to keep an eye on is the BGP scanner process.  Carrying multiple
full feeds of 220k+ routes will cause the CPU to thrash when running that
process.  It's something to consider, especially on a router that 1)
doesn't have an especially fast CPU, by today's standards, and 2) does
everything BGP-related in software.  If the BGP Scanner process can't
complete within 60 seconds, it will become an ongoing problem.

I don't have direct experience with this exact setup, but about 4-5 years
ago, I recall a 3640 with max memory becoming seriously unhappy carrying
two full feeds at a time when a full feed was around 130k routes.  The BGP
Scanner process was chewing up lots of CPU time.

jms