[c-nsp] 3660 and BGP

Gideon Le Grange gideon at adept.co.za
Tue Jul 3 04:05:14 EDT 2007

On 02 Jul 2007, at 10:33 PM, Seth Mattinen wrote:

> Reinard, Gerno wrote:
>> Trying to figure out if a 3660 is sufficient to run BGP. It currently
>> has only 64MB of memory, but will be upgraded to 256 or 512. I
>> have two
>> different responses - one saying that BGP only requires a large
>> amount
>> of memory for the full route table and a 3660 will work. Another one
>> saying that a 3660 will not be able to handle it because of an
>> underpowered processor, even with 512MB of memory.
>> The connection will be Gigabit rate-limited to 100Mb (for now).
>> Should I
>> look at a 7200 or 7300 model or will the 3660 be ok for now?
>> Looking for
>> experiences with what worked for you (or didn't work).  Thanks,
>>

> It'll handle BGP just fine with more memory (do the 512 meg), but it
> won't be able to do 100 meg of traffic. My guesstimate for average
> internet traffic based on my experience with a 3640 is 15 meg.

I'm pretty sure the 3660 doesn't support more than 256M (reference
below), but if you feel I'm wrong, please point me to the correct
reference (so I can go and upgrade my 3660s as well):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/
prod_bulletin09186a0080091f70.html

With regards to the performance issue, check out this document:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765/tools/quickreference/
routerperformance.pdf