[c-nsp] Monitoring congested links

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Tue Jul 3 06:05:52 EDT 2007

For accuracy for any drop I'm not sure you will be able
to beat a MQC policing policy that just matches
and permits. Then set the rate close to line rate
and watch for exceed and violate drops via SNMP polls
of the MQC mibs.

Or just watch for output drops because that is what should
happen when there is congestion causin packets to back
up in the output queue.

Averages are usually pretty good voer 5 minutes because
micro burst, if enough to drive the link over the
edge, will always be an issue unless you can quantify with
100% assurance what they will always be and at what rate.
That's pretty much impossible in a dynamic network with
various traffic streams.

Rodney