[c-nsp] Unicast storms

Brian Turnbow b.turnbow at twt.it
Tue Jul 3 08:55:56 EDT 2007

It will vary a bit between switches
But here is how it is described by cisco.

Storm control (or traffic suppression) monitors packets passing from an interface to the switching bus and determines if the packet is unicast, multicast, or broadcast. The switch counts the number of packets of a specified type received within the 1-second time interval and compares the measurement with a predefined suppression-level threshold.

Storm control uses one of these methods to measure traffic activity:

*Bandwidth as a percentage of the total available bandwidth of the port that can be used by the broadcast, multicast, or unicast traffic

*Traffic rate in packets per second at which broadcast, multicast, or unicast packets are received (Cisco IOS Release 12.1(22)EA1 or later)

With either method, the port blocks traffic when the rising threshold is reached. The port remains blocked until the traffic rate drops below the falling threshold (if one is specified) and then resumes normal forwarding. If the falling suppression level is not specified, the switch blocks all traffic until the traffic rate drops below the rising suppression level. In general, the higher the level, the less effective the protection against broadcast storms.

Unicast flooding does not worry about known or unknown macs, just the amount of traffic.

There is  Unknown Unicast Flood Blocking or UUFB available on some platforms to block the flooding of unknown unicast traffic.

Regards
Brian