[c-nsp] L3 Interface for 2821

Bernd Ueberbacher noc at mynet.at
Wed Jul 4 08:26:51 EDT 2007

Hi there!

Once again I have a small problem and I'm sure you guys can help me out ;-)
I have two 2821 routers. They have 2 Gi interfaces onboard.
In one of them I have a HWIC-4ESW.

I'd like to connect a Catalyst 2950 to a third interface of the router.
I need to configure the switchports (on the Catalyst) as access ports
with different VLANs. On a L3 interface I could then create for example
a FastEthernet0/1.321 for the VLANs. On the HWIC-4ESW this isn't
possible, as it is only a L2 interface :-( I read that it should be
possible to configure a L2 interface to a L3 interface since 12.3(4)T
(no switchport). This doesn't work for me (or for this module?).

So what would be the best way to hook up the Catalyst to the router (for
this purpose)? Is there a (cheap) L3 FE module for the 2800 series
available?

Thanks,
Bernd