[c-nsp] experiences or success stories related to XENPAK-10GB-ZR

Emanuel Popa emanuel.popa at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 07:58:36 EDT 2007

hello,

we would like to upgrade gigabit links over a geographical area to
tengigabit links. in order to do this we can use one of the following
solutions:

- build a DWDM network ring and use one or multiple tengigabit
ethernet links between the nodes with LAN PHY or WAN PHY using
XENPAK-10GB-LR or XENPAK-10GB-LW in cisco 7600 chassis with 6704
linecards

- save the expenses for the DWDM ring and build a single tengigabit
ring over the existing pair of optical fibers

note: we need to use 7600 routers, because of the MPLS!

now, examining the business case we would like to go further with the
second solution: tengigabit directly over the fiber. the problem is
that the distance between different points of presence is somewhere
between 50 - 80 km. the only XENPAK that can offer connectivity over
this distance is the XENPAK-10GB-ZR:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/modules/ps4835/products_data_sheet09186a008007cd00.html

but, cisco says that "This interface is not part of the 10 GbE
standard but is built according to Cisco optical specifications
reported in Table 3", which makes me wonder.

we've already asked cisco for two xenpaks for testing purposes, but we
haven't received them yet. is there anybody who already has this kind
of xenpaks in the network? can you give me some details regarding
their functioning?

thank you,
emanuel