[c-nsp] Juniper Netscreen SSG 140 versus Cisco ASA 5510 series

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Sat Jul 7 23:07:05 EDT 2007

Zahid Hassan wrote:

> Dear All,
>

> Can anyone please comment or give any insight about the
> Juniper Netscreen SSG 140 versus the Cisco ASA 5510 series.
>
> I am looking for BGP support on my perimeter firewalls and as the Cisco ASA
> 5500
> series still doesn't support BGP, I am thinking of going for the SSG 140
> series.
>
> Any comment on the feature and reliability differences, will be greatly
> appreciated.

netscreen as a firewall is a whole lot more straightforward then
anything the pix/asa has to offer, plus its a whole lot more closer to a
full featured router than the pix/asa.

The webui and the cli are actually nearly equivalent AND compatible,
meaning you can use one or the other or both at the same time, safely.

I have found the netscreens and ssg's to be very reliable, very full
featured, go read the screenos documentation (~40mb pdf) for a better idea.

However, you should check with the SE before planning on taking full tables.

Good stuff.