[c-nsp] experiences or success stories related to XENPAK-10GB-ZR

Emanuel Popa emanuel.popa at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 04:52:52 EDT 2007

Hi Dale,

The attenuation is maximum 21dB for a longer distance link of 102km
and dispersion is between 16 and 18 ps/nm x km. We have no
measurements of ORL.

There is one more question i've got for you because you mentioned FEC.
I'm not quite sure I understood, but here it is:

- on other 10GE links over DWDM network with XENPAK-10GB-LW at both
ends, we experience an average of 1 interface flap per day
- the interface flapping does not really affect the traffic, beacuse
we have redundant links; the customers did not complain
- however, we tried to troubleshoot the interface flapping with our
carrier and they said there is nothing wrong with their network
- during several months of endless discussions with their NOC, there
were four or five times when the flapping became so dense that it
disturbed network traffic and we escalated the problem
- all this time we are convinced that cisco XENPAKs are flawless and
WS-X6704-10GB are also flawless
- one of the escalation methods was to interrupt traffic for 48 hours
and to measure the full circuit end-to-end, including optical patches
- after the measurement, results are: 3 errored seconds of SEF
(Severely Errored Frame) and 1 error of LSS (Loss of Sequence
Synchronization)
- the errored seconds are at different timestamps and might be related
with our interface flapping
- but with only 4 errored seconds during the 48 hours test, the
carrier said the line is ok and has no problems

now, i'm asking you:
- is it possible that the lack of FEC for the XENPAK may cause the
interface flapping when SEF or LSS alarms appear on the line?

have a nice day,
emanuel popa