[c-nsp] L2TPv3 again

Bernd Ueberbacher noc at mynet.at
Wed Jul 11 19:00:58 EDT 2007

Hi!

It's me again ;-)

Sorry for bothering you again, but I still have a few questions about my
config. It's a bit more complex now (for my skills), so please take a
look at this ascii "art" ;-)

At the moment my L2TP "lab" looks like this:

Laptop 10.20.30.88
    I (FastEthernet 0/1, encapsulation dot1q 301)
Catalyst 2950
    I (FastEthernet 0/24, switchport mode trunk to 3640-1  -
Ethernet0/1.301 xconnect to c3640-2)
Cisco 3640-1
    I (crossover to second router, 3640-1 Ethernet0/0 to 3640-2 Ethernet0/0)
Cisco 3640-2
    I (FastEthernet 0/24, switchport mode trunk to 3640-2 -
Ethernet0/1.301 xconnect to c3640-1)
Catalyst 2950
    I (FastEthernet 0/1, encapsulation dot1q 301)
Laptop 10.20.30.99

Looks strange, but right now I've got a xconnect from a port/VLAN on the
2950 to the same port/VLAN on the other 2950. The laptops can ping each
other. As mentioned before I wanted to apply some rate limiting to the
tunnel, but the "rate-limiting" doesn't work at all, while
"traffic-shaping" works at least for output. I tried a police policy-map
on the subinterface for input, but this also doesn't limit the traffic :-(
When I add a "traffic-shaping" on the subinterface of the second router
I have a bidirectional shaping of course, but is this a good idea? There
is still no input limit, just two output limits on the two routers.
Isn't there a better way? I guess the input rate limiting should be done
on the switch, but my 2950 doesn't allow me to do that, so what would be
the best solution to solve my problem?

Thanks and good n8,
Bernd

PS: Don't tell my boss that I spent the whole evening trying this L2TP
stuff instead of learning for my CCNA ;-)
PPS: And don't laugh about my NM-1E2Ws, I don't have something else to
learn!