[c-nsp] SLB Question

jcovini at free.fr jcovini at free.fr
Thu Jul 12 09:25:29 EDT 2007

Hi Paul,

I would suggest that you stay away from NAT.

 - Just get a pair of Cisco CSS1150x which will provide exactly what you need,
i.e layer 4 loadbalancing the quick and easy way. They also sells as linecards
which may fit within your 65xx if you got some free slots.

- If you can't, just implement Multicast-NLB onto your servers. This is a crappy
MS technology since it makes use of multicast Mac-address, and waste a bit of
bandwith (Nowadays, with these 10Gigs LANs...), but it's the cheapest solution I
know to achieve what you need without dedicated appliances. Ubercheapest might
also exist in the GNU/BSD world but I dunno any.

jc