[c-nsp] OPSF / BFD timer advise

James Worley james at tridentnet.net
Thu Jul 12 10:04:56 EDT 2007

Hi Phil

We have about 40 6509-sup720 running
's72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF5' this particular site is
configured in a 4 core model.

I would agree with you that a 1sec OSPF dead timer is over kill,
especially as we have sub second timers on BFD. My only question now is
what people suggest we set the OSPF timers to?

As I understand BFD its able to detect link failure. The OSPF timer still
need to be quick enough to cause convergence should the problem not be
link failure or put another way as a back up to BFD.

We are not entirely sure what is causing the issue. The syslog only show
the OSPF neighbour as down. Strangely the outage can last a few minutes
before syslog reports the neighbour as back up and the M-VPNS are back up.