[c-nsp] NTP Config

Tony Li tli at cisco.com
Thu Jul 12 12:40:05 EDT 2007

On Jul 12, 2007, at 9:18 AM, Stephen Wilcox wrote:

> You can do this with the configs suggested - if you sync to an
> external time source your clocks will be accurate and if you dont
> they will be wrong.

Agreed.  The time resulting from such a configuration is generally
less accurate than your average $15 wristwatch.  While most people
don't really need millisecond accuracy, drifting say 10 mins every
3-4 months is likely to create problems.

> Personally I would suggest if you want to have a large scale
> deployment of accurate NTP you setup an NTP server (*nix box with
> GPS + external source) and chime from that, and leave your routers
> to route.

Also agreed.  If you prefer not to set this up yourself, there are
some third party appliances out there specifically set up for this.

Tony