[c-nsp] 7507 crashes

jp jp at saucer.midcoast.com
Fri Jul 13 10:26:03 EDT 2007

We have a 7507/rsp4/vip2-50 with fast ethernet and ATM t3 card doing ATM
over t3 for DSL termination. Whenever the power flickers a tiny bit (not
enough to activate the UPS), and sometimes the UPS switchover itself,
the 7507 will either crash the VIP card or reboot. I have a portmaster
hooked to the RSP console port so I can remotely see what happens
anytime. The 7507 has dual AC power supplies. A nice UPS would be solve
it, but we need monster run time that normal UPS's don't provide, and an
autostart generator is not suitable for this site.

We have the tripplite APS power backup units connected to big AGM deep
cycle batteries. It does provide good backup time and power, but the
switchover between utility and battery is not 100% transparent. All our
other gear at the site must have big enough capacitors in the power
supply that it does not seem to matter.

Would DC power supplies be more apt to smoothly power the cisco? I've
got an old lorain 25amp rectifier that seems like it should power it and
some batteries fine. It had powered an old tadiran PBX that was bigger
than a 4-draw filing cabinet.

Is this a good way to go, or should I be chasing down some other path?

--
/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL