[c-nsp] "The TCN only has an impact on the aging time"

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 11:25:00 EDT 2007

With 802.1d, when the switch receives a TCN from the root it will
drop the mac-address aging time to 15 seconds.
The root switch will send PDUs with the TCN flag set for max age
+forwarding delay= 35 seconds.

I'm fairly certain it only ages out the mac table entries associated
with the STP instance that received
the TCN.  Using per-vlan spanning tree.

If you are using Portfast on the access port, it doesn't generate a TCN.

All of this only applies to 802.1d, if you are using 802.1w (RSTP) it
uses a different mechanism for topology notification
and just flushes the mac table instead of lowering the aging time.

Phil