[c-nsp] configure 876 with qos

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Mon Jul 16 10:25:30 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 10:18:41PM +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2007, Ahmad Cheikh Moussa wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > David Granzer wrote:
> > > you can not use "bandwidth" on input direction.
> >
> > I've got the same error, when I use the priority
> > command. It doesn't matter what I configure in that
> > policy-map, I've got this error.
>
> Why would you police/bandwidth on inbound data? You've already
> received it.

I used to argue that same point. But I've since backed off
of it a bit. The reason is a deployment scenario where a
user (customer) connects but has multiple egress interfaces
towards the core/destination. You want to provide them some
form of per remote shaping/policing. Meaning you want to provide
the same service towards the remote irregardless of the egress
path to get there. So if you can apply the policy to the interface
for that specific user on ingress (their attachment circuit) it
does make the concept of shaping/queueing relevant.

Rodney