[c-nsp] Testing an EFT image for the upcoming 12.5(1) release

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Tue Jul 17 14:12:25 EDT 2007

In working with the IOS Release Operations team I think I've convinced
them to try something a little different for the
first release of 12.5(1). This release is a little different
in that there are no new "features" in it. There are some
infrastructure changes around the forwarding paths to
improve performance and scalability. These same changes have
already been implemented in the 12.2S code base that new
releases today are being built from (SRA/SRB for the 76xx,
the upcoming SXH for the 6500, and all of the platforms shipping
on the 12.2(28)SB and 12.2(31)SB releases).

If they agree here is what would happen. I would post out
a pointer to an EFT image and I would like for anyone
interested to test it out and report any problems found with the image.

The image would be a date code image that has limited testing.

The image is for testing in the lab only.
Read that as don't put it anywhere that if it fails it will cause
you major pain. It's not a production ready image. Only once the
final image is posted to CCO should it be considered "production ready"
with full TAC support.

Support for the image will be on a best effort basis through an
email alias that I will set up for us to communicate on.
Do not call TAC for support on a device that is running this mage.

If you are not interested in working through the bugs and trying
to help identify and test solutions to them this trial isn't
for you.

My first step is to gauge the interest from folks on this
alias that would be interested in trialing this approach with me.

If so, please unicast me an email. Based on the responses we'll
make a final decision on if it's someting they will do.

In the email response please specific which IOS platform and feature
set you need. Probably easiest to just provide a 'sh ver' from
the box you will test it on.

FYI: there will be no k9 images delivered so we can avoid the
encryption image entitelement process.

Thanks,
Rodney