[c-nsp] Problem using SNMPget for ipAdEntIfIndex and IfIndex (7600, 3660, 7200)

Anton Smith anton at huge.geek.nz
Fri Jul 27 06:08:46 EDT 2007

Hi all, the following is on behalf of a work mate:

------------

Problem using SNMPget for ipAdEntIfIndex and IfIndex on Cisco
7600/3660/7200:

It regards getting information on what ipaddress is connected to what
interface.
I use ipAdEntIfIndex to find out what ipaddress goes with what ifIndex.
Example: IP-MIB::ipAdEntIfIndex.10.10.10.10 = INTEGER: 111
Here I've connectect an interface to a VRF called for example A, and
configure the ipaddress 10.10.10.10 with whatever mask.
This ipaddress in configured on an  interface I call Loopback660.

Now if I create another interface called Loopback661 and connect it to
another VRF B, but with the same IP address 10.10.10.10, the oid changes
to: IP-MIB::ipAdEntIfIndex.10.10.10.10 = INTEGER: 112
And the other oid disappears. So it’s overwritten.
Now I have two interfaces on different VRF’s with the same IPaddress.

The configuration works fine of course, but when I try to manage my
IPaddress list through SNMP I have problems distinguishing between two
interfaces.

What I'm trying to do is to input the ipaddress 10.10.10.10 and find out
what interface it is connected to.

Any information on what I could do to fix this?