[c-nsp] Ever-changing support for non Cisco branded transceivers

Marian Ďurkovič md at bts.sk
Sat Jun 2 14:18:44 EDT 2007

On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 05:31:12PM +0300, Saku Ytti wrote:
> On (2007-06-01 14:42 -0400), Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
>
> > Anyone have any idea whats going on here? Is this just a bug/oversight or
> > intentional meddling with the non Cisco branded optics support. :)
>
> Intentional according to TAC, they broke DOM from cisco branded optics
> too, that somehow are not supported with DOM (but used to work with DOM).

This is completely insane. According to "DOM Compatibility Matrix"
there is no DOM support for e.g. SR XENPAKs, although all vendors are
currently producing such units with proper DOM support.

There is absoloutely NO reason to disable DOM for such XENPAKs. I suspect
that the developers are simply trying to workaroud some other problem
with early units, which were sometimes returning wrong values, triggering
false threshold alarms etc.

Anyway, the current "solution" to only enable DOM on a few tested XENPAK
types is far worse than the original problem they're trying to solve.
Someone should finally explain to them that compiling a list of
"DOM supported" XENPAKs is definitely NOT the way to go and causes
severe trouble to the customers. Noone would be ever able to maintain such
list uptodate and any additions to that list would require IOS update
with all the usual burden. And it's no fun to open a TAC case each time DOM
does not work because the XENPAK is missing on the list.

All other vendors are solving it in much efficient way - by providing
interface-level config command to disable DOM on a specific transceiver
if needed for any reason.

	With kind regards,

----   Marian Ďurkovič                       network  manager         ----
----   Slovak Technical University           Tel: +421 2 524 51 301   ----