[c-nsp] Small router that supports IPv6, shaping/policing?

Nate Carlson cisco-nsp at natecarlson.com
Mon Jun 4 10:16:14 EDT 2007

I've got a rack leased in a local colo center for personal projects, and
also offer cheap colo to my friends/peers.. I'm currently just using a
small layer 3 switch to handle my routing needs, but would like to upgrade
to something IPv6-capable, and also have the ability to do traffic shaping
on the VLAN's in case one of my friends gets carried away on our limited
bandwidth.  :)

I know that a 2800 could easily handle these requirements, but I'd really
like to stay well under $1k on the used market.. just curious if anyone
has experience with an 1800 for these type of requirements, or other
recommendations? Max bandwidth would probably be ~40mbit.

Thanks for any advice!