[c-nsp] How many DSL L2TP-tunnels on a 3825?

Garry gkg at gmx.de
Wed Jun 6 03:59:59 EDT 2007

I'm currently looking into a replacement for our redundant set of 7200
routers (non-VXR) that are doing our DSL l2tp-Tunnels ... currently,
both routers run at around 20-25% CPU load (peak). We possibly will get
a large batch of additional dial-ins soon, which would probably be too
much for the two to handle (especially should one of the two fail), so I
thought about getting two 3825 to replace them - the two GBit-ethernets
on the routers being a big plus.

How many real life DSL sessions should I expect a single 3825 to handle
comfortably w/o performance issue? Dialups are a healthy mix of anything
between 1M/128k through 6M/512k, with some percentage of SDSL in between
(2M)

Thanks for you input, -garry