[c-nsp] Suggestions on FTTH solutions

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Wed Jun 6 19:52:47 EDT 2007

I'm looking for product suggestions/ideas/links to more info/etc on FTTH
triple-play solutions.  We've recently set our sites on FTTH as a
long-term strategy.  I found a little FTTH info on Cisco's site talking
about the 4510 but more info on Cisco's offerings as well as any other
companies (good or bad) would be useful.  I'm fond of a Cisco solution
but all factor's will be taken into consideration and before any
direction is given.

This will be a rural cabinet-based offering so power requirements,
last-mile fiber lengths, density, etc is a concern.  Our cores are
Cisco.  IPTV will likely happen in the next 2-3 years but is currently
pending outside forces.  I'm currently implementing MPLS across the
cores and I would think that MPLS, BFD, FRR would likely be used
throughout the FTTH architecture.  We're spread out over a very large
area so I'm hoping that an optical transport system will be employed to
connect rings of FTTH equipment.  Suggestions for integration would be
helpful here too.

Has anyone deployed FTTH with Cisco equipment?  Can anyone point me a
page on Cisco's site that will point me to Cisco's FTTH product line?
Any details about that product line like where it's going in the future?
  The whole ball of wax will be considered here including product lifecycle.

Thanks
  Justin