[c-nsp] debug BGP flapping peer

schilling schilling2006 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 12:28:43 EDT 2007

Hi,

Software Version: 12.2(18)SXF7

Problem Details: BGP peer is flapping only one way. The other way is ok. ping
with small and big packet size are all ok from peer loopbacks and connected
vlan interfaces. show ip bgp neighbor showed that keepalives are temporarily in
throttle due to closed TCP window.  Connection established 4672; dropped 4671.
Last reset due to BGP Notification received, hold time expired.

show ip bgp summary showed problematic peering session OutQ is 925.

>From Philip Smith's  nanog presentation "Troubleshooting BGP", the most
common cause is the  MTU thing, I  verified that ping from loopback/vlan
interface on both end to loopback/vlan interface on both end with varied
sizes are all working good. And ip tcp path-mtu-discovery is turned on on
both ends.

I knew I can try debug ip bgp or debug ip tcp transaction. Any good docs to
limit the output of the debug commands.

Thanks.

Schilling