[c-nsp] 6500/7600 boot issues

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Jun 7 16:29:24 EDT 2007

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007, Jon Lewis wrote:

> The config-register on the supervisor (as shown by rem com sw sh ver) is
> 0x2142.  On all our other 6500s, both the msfc and sup conf-regs are
> 0x2102.  How do you change the conf-reg on the supervisor?  Is it as
> simple as
> rem com sw conf t
> conf-reg 0x2102
> exit
> reload
>
> I'm a little hesitant to try this on a running router.

I had this problem and opened a case. The only outcome of the case was
that the conf-reg settings were out of sync with no way of finding the
cause. Setting conf-reg from regular IOS cli will set all conf-regs on all
parts of the Sup720, as said in earlier posts.

I actually recommend setting the confreg before each reboot on the 7600,
just as a precaution.

Back in SXE we had problems with the confreg being wrong twice in approx
20 reboots, on somewhere around 15-20 7600. This might be better in SXF,
of course, this was when SXE had just come out.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se