[c-nsp] Cisco equivalent of juniper hardware

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 10:14:52 EDT 2007

The ES20 has most of the same feature set as the SIP-400, and if
Ethernet is really
what you want, it's a cheaper option.   The ES20 w/better DFC is
$60k.  The SIP-400
itself is $35k and then each 2-port GigE is $10k.  You can only put 4
GigE ports in a
single SIP-400 before it may be oversubscribed.  Whether it's
oversubscribed depends on
your packet size since it's PPS limited, not backplane bandwidth
limited.

Worst case scenario you need 3 SIP-400s with 5 2xGE SPAs, which is
$155,000.  Versus
20 line-rate GigE ports that costs $60k, or even with the IPV6/MPLS
VPN license is
$100k...

The SIP/SPA GigE pricing is a lot, I think that's why they did the
ES20 for those who
need more GigE with more features.

Phil

On Jun 7, 2007, at 9:43 PM, Brad Henshaw wrote:

> Phil Bedard wrote:
>
>> Your answers mean that the LAN-type GigE on the 7600 series
>> is probably not what you want.
>> Some of those cards are oversubscribed (IE, there are 24 GigE
>> ports handled by 2 10-gig ASICs.) and they don't do shaping.
>>
>> While it's very new, the ES20 20-port GigE blade for the 7600
>> I think is the cheapest option to get what you want, unless
>> you need IPV6/mVPN/ 4364VPN support, which adds to the cost
>> via a license.
>
> Possibly a cheaper option is the 7600 with SIP-200 and FE SPAs or
> SIP-400/SIP-600 with FE or GE SPAs where shaping is needed.
>
> From memory there is some level of oversubscription with the SIP's
> also but I don't recall finding any clear documentation on this.
>
> Use standard FE/GE blades where you don't need advanced QoS - the
> SIPs & SPAs are just too damn expensive!
>
> Also bear in mind that if you go up to the SIP-600, Sup/RSP720 is
> Required.
>
> Regards,
> Brad

Phil Bedard