[c-nsp] Migration from IPFilter to IOS Firewall

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Fri Jun 8 11:53:24 EDT 2007

Your going to be better off sticking with your ipfilter solution -
you do know you don't have to field it on a Sun, correct?

The power available in off-the-shelf PC hardware is an order of
magnitude greater than available in all but the most expensive
Cisco routers.  Most Cisco routers running IOS Firewall would
drown under a concerted DDoS attack that a modern PC wouldn't
even notice.

There's a lot of people that use routers for routing and PC's
for firewalls and thus get a best-of-breed solution.

NAT between the 2 systems is a wash - it's just not that intensive,
unless you get a virus-infected system behind the address translator,
and in that case it's better for the rest of us on the Internet if
your infected network overflows your NAT device and thereby takes
itself offline.

But firewalling is a different animal.  Particularly since your
very familiar with the ipfilter and not familiar with IOS Firewall
feature set.

Ted